20081022

Japan has enough crazy machines as it is: I don't have to become one.

Finally home after a long day at work, blogging is just about one of the last things I feel like doing. It seems that every morning, as I ride my bike through the vast fields of dirt that up until recently were filled with tall stalks of rice, I'm full of interesting thoughts that I just can't wait to sit down and relay to all my eager readers. But, when the end of the day finally rolls around and I've got the time to sit in front of my laptop for a bit, I'm too exhausted to feel inspired.

Suddenly I think I've gained a little insight into why Japanese people as a whole don't seem to be all that creative: they work too damn much.

Nevertheless, I find ways to reassure myself that I am, in fact, a human and not a robot. I spend my spare time at work designing hand-drawn picture cards and worksheets for elementary school lessons. In class, when the other teacher is lecturing in Japanese and I'm left standing against the wall like a painting, I fantasize about interesting little things that I can create when I get home. Like a crocheted afghan for my bed. Or Halloween decorations for our party next Friday. Or a time machine that will transport me to some time after speech contests are over.

4 comments:

JT said...

Perhaps while you are busy dreaming up magnificent inventions such as time machines you could work on the specs for developing a teleportation device? I figure it would be cheaper than buying a plane ticket to come visit you. Assuming you can built it cheap.

Danica said...

Yes, I'd like to put an order in on Meghan's Magic Creativity for a time-speeder-upper so that I can fast forward through conversations about politics like Tivo skips commercials.

This is great! Perhaps you can make a machine that keeps you from sleeping so you can ALWAYS be day-dreaming more inventions and we can make them and sell them and and and...

:-* <--- either a "kiss" or a "tongue in cheek"

Anonymous said...

I might end up in Indonesia (who'd a thunk it?!) instead of the Middle East for now, so the teleportation device mentioned by Jared will not be needed! (Also, the team leader wife of this particular team is Japanese.) I miss you dearly.

Paco said...

Hello there. I am having so much fun reading your blog. My wife was a teacher in this same program 17 years ago! We meet in Moka. Love to see some pictures of the apartments and the town itself. I wonder how much this, then little town, has changed.
keep it up.